Because our modern lives are run on electricity, having functional and reliable outlets and switches is of the utmost importance. After all, charging your electronic devices and keeping the lights on will be hard without an outlet or a switch. When you need either components of the electrical system installed, repaired, or serviced, look no further than Apex Pros, the home of the most skilled electricians in the area.
The Role of Outlets and Switches in a Home
Outlets and switches are just as important in a home as a working bathroom and kitchen. They help us accomplish daily tasks around the house, and stay safe, comfortable, and productive.
Different Types of Outlets
- Duplex: This is the most common outlet, which has two receptacles allowing two devices to be plugged in at the same time.
- Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI): Provides protection against shock and is typically used in kitchens, bathrooms, and outdoor locations that are near a water source.
- Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI): Detects and mitigates the risk of electrical fires caused by arcing.
- USB Outlet: Includes USB ports for charging electronic devices directly without the need for adapters.
- Weather-resistant Outlet: Designed for outdoor use or areas where there is a lot of moisture.
- Decora Outlet: Has a rectangular shape and a large, flat face. This outlet is normally used for modern and decorative purposes.
Different Types of Switches
- Single-Pole Switch: Controls the power to a single light or device from one location and has a simple on/off control.
- Double-Pole Switch: Controls the power to a single light or device from two locations.
- Three-Way Switch: Used to control a light or device from two locations and used in hallways and stairs.
- Dimmer Switch: This allows the user to control the brightness of a light.
- Smart Switch: This can be controlled remotely using a smartphone or home automation system.
- Timer Switch: Automatically turns lights on or off based on a preset schedule.
- Toggle Switch: A basic on/off switch with a toggler lever.
Signs You Need Outlet and Switches Services
It isn’t always obvious when you need a new outlet or switch installed in your home. Here are some signs to watch out for when considering a new outlet or switch installation:
Lights that flicker or dim unexpectedly may result from a problem with the electrical circuit, switch, or outlet.
Warm or Hot Outlets or Switches
An outlet or switch that gets hot to the touch must be checked for circuit overload and replaced if necessary.
Sparks or Smoke
Sparks or smoke that occurs when you plug in a device or flip a switch are serious signs of trouble. Turn off the power and call our professional electricians as soon as you can.
Outlets Not Holding Plugs Securely
If your plugs are always falling out of the outlets, there is an issue with the receptacle that must be repaired.
Intermittent Power Loss
There may be faulty wiring when you experience issues like intermittent power loss when using an outlet or power switch.
Unusual sounds, such as crackling or buzzing, coming from outlets or switches should be investigated immediately. These noises can indicate loose wiring or other electrical issues.
All the issues above may indicate the need for professional electrical services for your outlets or switches. Also, keep your eye out for these additional indications of repair or replacement:
- Outdated or Damaged Outlets and Switches
- Non-Responsive Switches
- Water Damage
- Burning Smell
Outlet Installation and Replacement Services
When you trust Apex Pros with your outlet and installation services, you can expect flawless work at every step of the service. From new outlet installation to replacing old outlets and upgrading your current ones, we will ensure electrical safety and efficiency for your household.
New Outlet Installation
When you need an outlet installed in a new area of your home, we will help work it into the current electrical system and perform the installation. This will be done safely, effectively, and at a price you can afford.
Replacing Outdated or Damaged Outlets
Old or damaged outlets are not reliable and can really spike your electricity bill due to their inefficiency. We will help you identify the old and damaged outlets in your home and recommend a cost-effective and efficient replacement.
If you want your current outlet to be upgraded to a more modern or convenient option, Apex Pros are the professionals to get the job done in a seamless and efficient way.
Switch Installation and Replacement Services
When it is time to install or replace a switch in your home, we will follow all the safety measures to ensure that it is done correctly with your safety in mind. Here is our process for doing so:
- Assessment and evaluation of the existing switch and electrical system
- Turn off the power to the circuit
- Remove the old switch
- Disconnect the wiring
- Install the new switch
- Secure the switch in the electrical box
- Install the switch plate cover
- Turn on the power
- Check issues or abnormalities and make any necessary adjustments
With this thorough process, you can rest assured knowing that our installation will be safe and lasting.
Electrical Inspections for Outlets and Switches
It is crucial to have your outlets and switches periodically inspected for safety and functionality. When Apex Pros inspect the outlets and switches in your home, you will reap the following benefits:
- Safety assurance
- Code compliance
- Prevention of circuit overloads
- Identification of damaged components
- Early detection of wiring issues
- Optimizing the performance of outlets and switches
- Adaptation to home changes in the case of renovations or add-ons of new appliances
- Prevention of electrical overheating
- Enhanced energy efficiency
- Avoidance of emergency repairs
Best of all, you get the peace of mind of knowing that your electrical system is reliable and in tip-top shape.
Emergency Outlet and Switches Services
When you need urgent repairs for your outlet or switch, you can rely on Apex Pros for prompt and professional assistance. We are your go-to for emergencies like sparking, malfunctions, or burned-out outlets. We provide the following benefits when you turn to us for emergency services:
- A prompt response to any electronic malfunctions
- 24-hr services for immediate assistance
- Prevention of electric hazards thanks to our prompt and professional action
Call Apex Pros Today!
Are you in need of an outlet or switch service in your home? Whether you need a repair, inspection, or installation, our electricians are available to help. Call now to schedule a service and to learn about our current deals.
FAQ: Outlets and Switches Installation
Do you need an electrician to install an outlet?
While it is possible to do it yourself, it is always the safest option to hire a professional electrician to get the job done correctly and reliably.
Does it matter which wire goes where on an outlet?
As long as the wires are on the proper terminal, placement won’t matter too much when installing an outlet.
How much does it cost to install an outlet?
The installation cost of an outlet will depend on the type of outlet, the locations of the installation, and the complexity of the job. When you call Apex Pros, you will receive a free estimate of services.