Because water leaks often have the tendency to fly under the radar, many homeowners don't notice them at all until they call for water leak detection in Columbus, OH. Not all leaks are easily visible. Some might be hiding beneath your floors, behind your walls or even deep underground. These silent killers could be causing water damage to your home without you being aware of it.
In many cases, you might not even recognize that there's a problem until you come across signs of mold growth or sagging walls and ceilings. The most effective way to stop water damage in its tracks is to schedule leak detection services. Once an expert tracks down the source of the leak, they can quickly resolve the issue with professional leak repair.
At Apex Plumbing, Heating, and Air Pros, we guarantee that your plumbing and drain problems are fixed right the first time. Our plumbers have decades of experience between them, and we even offer same-day emergency service for those times when you can’t wait for an appointment. Put us on your contact list, and remember to call the next time you need an experienced, fair-priced residential plumbing company.
Dangers of an Undetected Water Pipe Leak
Plumbing leaks are sometimes serious problems because the longer the leak goes on, the more damage is done to your home and property. Most times, water leaks are evident; however, sometimes, they occur beneath the foundation or inside the walls, which can be more challenging to detect. Below are the most common dangers of unseen water leaks.
- Higher Water Bills: Left unchecked, a plumbing leak can waste thousands of gallons of water, and the longer the leak continues, the more water is wasted and the higher your water bill goes.
- Water Damage: One of the most significant dangers of unseen water leaks is water damage. When a leak occurs, it can damage porous surfaces like wood floors, concrete, drywall, and carpet. Failing to find and fix these water leaks can lead to expensive repair bills down the road.
- Mold: Mold buildup in the home can trigger various home damage. However, some water leaks aren’t visible, so you have to find other ways to pinpoint the location. Here are a few tips.
Early Water Leak Detection in Columbus
Spotting a hidden water leak as early as possible is crucial to keeping damage at bay. Water damage only becomes costlier and more extensive as time goes by, so it's best not to delay calling in a professional plumber. Not only will an expert identify the exact source of the leak, but they'll even take the time to detail the cause of the problem so that you know what led to the leak in the first place. Understanding the reason behind the issue is vital to keeping further leaks at bay and minimizing the cost of repairs.
It's crucial to be able to recognize the signs of a hidden water leak. Some of the most common red flags are:
- Mold or mildew growth
- Sagging ceilings or walls
- Musty odor in home
- Unexplained spike in water bill
- Low water pressure
- Discolored walls or ceilings
- Peeling paint or wallpaper
Once the water leak detection is complete, the next step is leak repair. Our plumbers always stay up to date on the latest tools and methods for addressing all of your plumbing needs. Whether you're dealing with a leaky faucet or a toilet leak, you can be confident that your concerns are in the right hands.
Our experts are trained to handle all kinds of plumbing issues, including tracking down the most stubborn of water leaks. After we've determined the source and cause of your leak, we'll work diligently to repair it and prevent the same issue from happening again later on. This detailed, step-by-step process is just part of our team's commitment to the safety of your home and family.
Common Water Leak Causes
Water leaks can wreak all sorts of havoc in and around the home. It doesn’t matter how small a leak you have; you’ll pay for it one way or the other. Some water leaks are unavoidable, while you can prevent others with a little common sense.
- Clogged Drains: Hair, dirt, grease, soap, and food debris are the primary culprits for clogged drains. You can prevent these kinds of clogs by being mindful of the waste that you put down the drain and by using mesh filters where possible.
- High Water Pressure: If the water pressure in your plumbing is too high, it can cause damage, which leads to leaks. Most times, water pressure is determined by where you live. The average safe water pressure for a home is 60 psi, so if yours climbs above that, call a professional plumber to find out how you can bring it in line.
- Corroded Pipes: As older pipes age, the metal breaks down, which leads to leaks and burst pipes. If you have aging pipes, consider repiping your home to add value and protection.
How to Find Hidden Water Leaks
- Check the Water Meter: One of the easiest ways to identify a water leak is to check your water meter. First, turn off all of the water in your house, shut off the faucets, and make sure the dishwasher and washing machines aren’t running. Now, check the water meter; if it registers water usage, you have a water leak. Depending on the severity of the leak, it may take an hour or so to register.
- Check Your Water Usage: If you’ve lived in your home for a length of time, you should have a good idea of what your water usage is in a typical month. If you find that the amount of water you’re using has spiked, it’s probably an unseen water leak.
- Monitor Your Bill: Just as you should monitor your water usage, you should also monitor your water bill and note any sudden rises.
- Check Exterior Usage: Water leaks don’t occur only in the home; they occur outside too. Check the spigots outside by attaching a garden hose and watch for water seeping through the connection while the hose is on.
- Be Mindful of Water Spots: Don’t ignore water spots that appear on walls or ceilings. If you notice these, call a professional plumber immediately to locate the problem and fix it.
Timely and Reliable Leak Repair in Columbus
When you're experiencing plumbing problems, you don't want just anyone to solve them. At Apex Plumbing, Heating, and Air Pros, we know how important it is to have a plumbing company that you trust enough to call in any kind of situation. That's why we're proud to have built a reputation for honesty, transparency and integrity.
Our fast and knowledgeable service options are just part of the reason why our customers have come back to us time and time again. From water heater replacement to sump pump services, we offer a wide range of plumbing services to meet your specific needs. You can think of us as your one-stop shop for all of your plumbing-related concerns.
Are you ready to crack down on water damage with help from water leak detection in Columbus? All you have to do is give Apex Plumbing, Heating, and Air Pros a call today, and we'll be more than happy to discuss our services with you or help you set up an appointment with one of our star plumbers!